Billy Goat Chip Snack Pack
In 2002, The Billy Goat Restaurant & Bar opened as St. Louis’ first gastropub, producing hand crafted, house made food, using locally sourced products whenever possible. Billy Goat Potato Chips were served from day one and quickly became a signature item. The popularity and demand for these tasty treats helped them direct their current path. In February 2009 they began potato chip production at The Billy Goat Chip Company, located in South St. Louis City.
Why we love Billy Goat Chips:
Made with high quality ingredients and hand crafted care at the top of the list, they employ the same techniques to achieve a product that is not only aesthetically pleasing, but perhaps even the best potato chip on the market.
- The process begins with potatoes. They use only russet potatoes from Idaho because of their dense composition and their deep potato flavor.
- They carefully select and hand feed every potato that is sliced. This extra care results in a slice that is generally longer than wide. This makes it perfect for dipping or presentation.
- They rinse the potatoes twice to remove any excess starch on the surface of the slices. This prevents the slices from sticking together in the frying process and helps to keep the canola oil pristine.
- Each batch is carefully weighed and the water is drained away before being placed in the fryer.
- Since potatoes are mostly water, the initial steam process is impressive, but once it dissipates the real action begins. They hand stir every batch for the entire cooking process. This eliminates clumping, helps to cook evenly and produces a chip that is flatter, rather than curled.
- Once they have reached golden perfection, approximately 6 minutes, the chips are extracted and prepared for seasoning.
- The unique seasonings, developed years earlier at the restaurant, are carefully weighed and gently applied to the batch. The tumbling action helps to distribute the flavor.
- They meticulously hand sort and weigh every chip to ensure quality and consistency.
The Kraft Bag
- The bag is wonderful in many ways. Not only is it interesting, but it also has function. The material and design helps to protect the chips inside without the addition of nitrogen. That is why the bags are actually full of chips.