Fromagination Macaroni & Cheese
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 12 oz. Pannocchie Marella Pasta
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter
- ¾ cup dried bread crumbs, preferably panko
- 1 oz. finely grated SarVecchio cheese (about 1 cup)
- ¼ cup flour
- 3½ cups milk
- 4 oz. grated Gruyère (Gran Cru Gruyere Surchoix or Pleasant Ridge Reserve ) (about 1½ cups)
- 4 oz. grated Emmentaler (about 1½ cups)
- 4 oz. grated Hook’s Five Year Cheddar (about 1½ cups)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Heat oven to 350°. Bring a 4-qt. saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until not quite al dente, about 7 minutes. Drain pasta, transfer to a bowl, and set aside.
Melt 3 tbsp. of the butter in a 4-qt. saucepan over low heat. Add the bread crumbs and Sarvecchio toss to combine, and transfer to a small bowl; set aside.
Wipe out the saucepan and set over medium heat. Melt the remaining butter and whisk in the flour until smooth. Whisk in the milk and cook, continuing to whisk often, until the sauce coats the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes. Stir in the (Gran Cru or Pleasant Ridge Reserve) 1 cup of the Emmentaler and 1 cup of the Hooks 5 Year Cheddar and whisk until the cheese is melted and incorporated. Season with salt and pepper. Remove pan from heat and stir in the reserved pasta. Pour the mixture into a 2-qt. baking dish and top with the remaining Emmentaler and Hook’s 5 Year Cheddar Sprinkle bread crumb mixture over the top and bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Serves 6 to 8 people.